Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)\
Director Social Sciences (MaGW), director Science for Global Development (WOTRO) and director National Initiative Brain and Cognition (NIHC).
Expertise: strategy development in the field of social and behavioural sciences, aimed at inter- and multidisciplinary cooperation; setting up and co-funding multilateral, multidisciplinary research programmes and networks, both within Europe as well as beyond. Dissemination and valorization of knowledge.
• Executive Committee International Social Science Council (ISSC, UNESCO)
• Coordinator NORFACE II, EU ERANET for the Social Sciences (scientific cooperation between research councils in 17 countries)
• Coordinator Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe (research cooperation between organisations in 13 countries)
• Co-chair of the Trans-Atlantic Platform for the Social Sciences and Humanities (EU funded)
• Joint Working Committee Scientific Cooperation Indonesia Netherlands
• Supervisory Board Terre des Hommes Netherlands (aimed at improving the living conditions of disadvantaged children).
• political dynamics, (de)centralization processes, early states, fragile states
• Southeast Asia
• sustainability and social sciences
• knowledge management.